Utility costs (water, sewer, and waste collection) are self-funded meaning utility fees are only used towards management, maintenance, and operation of utility-based infrastructure. Property taxes do not contribute towards utility costs. To cover any gaps between expenses and utility fees, the Town uses grant funding, borrowing, and development levies associated with water and sewer infrastructure for new or rehabilitated utility infrastructure. Council reviews your Public Utilities rates every year to ensure that the utilities operating costs are covered. When necessary, Council may increase Public Utilities rates in small increments to keep your services running smoothly and to plan for future capital improvements. This is set forth annually in the Municipal Public Utilities Bylaw.
|Flat fee||$30.00 per month|
|Water Consumption Rate||$2.44 per cubic metreconsumed|
|Bulk sales to Contractors|
$9.50 per cubic metre
|Bulk sales - Coin Fill|
$1.00 per 80 litres
WASTE COLLECTION RATES
|Basic Residential Pick Up||$15.10 per month (65 Gallon Cart)|
$24.20 per month (95 Gallon Cart)
|Apartments (3 units or more)||$10.40 per month per unit|
|Duplex||$15.10 per month per unit|
| Mobile Home Park|
where no bins are provided and stops are required for each or every second mobile unit
|$15.10 per month per unit|
| Mobile Home Park|
where self-unloading bins are provided
|$10.65 per month per unit|
|Commercial/Industrial/Institutional ($68.00 per month minimum)||$136.00 per hour|
|Commercial Light (95 Gallon Cart) where the collection is once a week||$24.20 per month|
|Any building or business that does not fall into any of the classifications mentioned||$17.00 per month|
|Sewer Rate||35% of the cost of water usage,|
including the flat monthly fee plus the consumption charge
The Town is committed to providing residents with safe and reliable water & sewer services. Guided by the Barrhead Regional Water Commission, the Public Works department manages and maintains these utility services. Each home, and most businesses, have a remote reader on the exterior of their buildings, so there is no need for Town staff to enter the premises to read the meter. The meters are read, and bills mailed bi-monthly. If you have concerns about your bill or metered use, contact us at 780-674-3301.
Opening & Closing Accounts
- To connect your service, call or visit the Town Office in person a minimum of 48 hours before you take possession of your new residence.
- New homes without an existing meter require a service appointment booked through the Town Office. A minimum of 48 hours notice is required to install a new meter and begin service.
- You must provide the service address, billing address (if different), landowner name, contact information, and possession date with your connection request.
- Closing or moving a utility account requires a minimum of 48 hours notice along with a forwarding address and disconnection date. No charges are incurred beyond your move out date although you will not receive your final bill until the next regular billing cycle.
Register to receive your bills via email! Use this application form to register.
Paying Your Bill
You can pay your utility bills in several convenient methods:
- Internet and telephone banking
- At financial institutions;
- Pre-authorized payments (application form)
- In-person at the Town Office (8:30 am - 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday)
Utility bills are due buy the end of the billing month. If you received your bill at the beginning of July for example, your bill will be due July 31.
If you know you will be delayed in making a payment, please contact our office immediately to make arrangements.
A 2.5% penalty is immediately applied to overdue accounts and a reminder notice sent to the account holder. Should payment not be received nor any arrangements made, a disconnection notice will be placed on the door and the water will be disconnected the following day after 10:00am. Disconnections are scheduled for the third week of the month. Water service will be re-connected immediately following payment of the full outstanding amount and the applicable $60.00 re-connection fee. Renters with grandfathered accounts who are disconnected have 48 hours to pay their outstanding balance in full to prevent permanent closure of the account. A new account must be opened in the property owner's name for a re-connection of service.
General Waste Collection Information
To guarantee that your garbage is picked up it must be out by 7:00AM on your scheduled pick-up day. There is no collection on Statutory Holidays. Waste is picked up the days immediately following a Statutory Holiday. Check the Waste Collection Schedule to determine your collection day or contact the Town Office at 780-674-3301.
Waste Collection Requirements:
- All garbage must be contained in a disposable garbage bag.
- No bag may weigh more than 55lbs.
- Animal waste and obnoxious matter must be double bagged.
- Lawn clippings and landscaping refuse like tree branches must be brought to the Composting Lot located at 4515 61 Avenue (East of the Firehall) for further processing.
- Hazardous materials or waste such as paint, motor oils, car batteries must be taken to the Barrhead Regional Landfill and cannot be disposed of through curb-side waste collection.
Residences/businesses that do not respect these rules or the health and safety of our collection staff will receive Violation Notices and their garbage may not be collected.
- $200 Deposit - Refundable when account closes
- $50 + tax Administration Fee
- $9.50/m3 for Bulk Water Account
- $1.00/80L to Coin Fill
- Bulk water fill offers coin fill which takes $1, $2, and $.25
- Accounts have an ID number and a pin number
- They get billed monthly
- Size of hookup is 1/2", 2", and 3"
- Must bring your own hose